University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Children's Farm Home School (Corvallis, Oregon)
Object NameChildren's Farm Home School (Corvallis, Oregon)
Viewexterior: west (front) and south (side) elevations. View looking northeast
Creator/RoleDeYoung & Roald (architecture firm, 1920-1930)
James W. DeYoung (architect, 1885-1968)
Knud A. Roald (architect, 1878-1965)
L. N. Travler (builder/contractor)
CreatorDeYoung & Roald
Roald, Knud A.
DeYoung, James W.
Travler, L. N.
Date1925
Decade1920-1929
CityCorvallis
CountyBenton
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Site Detail4455 Highway 20 Northeast
Photograph Date2007
PhotographerLiz Carter
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
schools (buildings)
schools (buildings)
private schools (buildings)
Period/StyleGeorgian Colonial Revival
SignficanceNational Register of Historic Places
ReferenceNational Register of Historic Places Registration Form, http://boundless.uoregon.edu/u?/archpnw,16285
NotesFrom the National Register nomination, Conclusion: 'The Children's Farm Home School has a significant place in the twentieth century social welfare history of Oregon. It exemplifies the educational efforts undertaken by the Women's Christian Temperance Union as part of their program for providing welfare services for homeless children. The building served as the focal point not only for educational services and vocation training, but for social activities on the campus as well. The development of the Children's Farm Home was the most notable project undertaken by the Oregon WCTU. The facility was conceived, developed, financed (by their fundraising efforts), and managed by the WCTU for 40 years. During this time, more than 3,500 children benefited from the services provided by the facility, including the school building. The Children's Farm Home is one of only a few residential facilities that were developed in Oregon during the early twentieth century to address the needs of homeless children and the only one that was intended to provide a "home environment" for children of all ages throughout their childhoods (there was no expectation that the children should be adopted). It was also the only institution that provided an educational facility on campus. The Albertina Kerr Nursery in Portland (listed on the National Register in 1979) was developed in 1921 to care for abandoned infants, infants of unwed mothers, and infants who required care while their mothers worked to support their family. It was an outgrowth of the pioneering social work of the Pacific Coast Rescue and Protective Society, but provided services only for children to the age of three. The St. Agnes Foundling Asylum, near Oregon City, provided shelter for children to the age of seven who were awaiting adoption. The Christie Home for Orphan Girls was located near Portland, but offered residential services only to girls between the ages of 6 and 16. The Oregon Masonic association built a "Children's Cottage" in 1926 on the site of the new Grand Lodge in Forest Grove, intended to house orphans of Masons, but closed in 1928 due to problems with providing for the needs of the children. The Children's Farm Home School, which retains a high degree of historic integrity, has come to symbolize the work of the WCTU and the Children's Farm Home. '
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionArchitecture & Allied Arts Library, University of Oregon Libraries, http://library.uoregon.edu/aaa/
Image SourceOregon State Historic Preservation Office
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
CopyrightThis image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office.
File Namepna_30130.jpg
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^