University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Winterhaven School (Portland, Oregon)
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object NameWinterhaven School (Portland, Oregon)
ViewOregon Historic Site Form. Prepared by Iris Eschen.
Alternate NameWinterhaven at Brooklyn School (Portland, Oregon)
Creator/RoleGeorge Howell Jones (architect, 1887-1950)
CreatorJones, George H.
Date1930
Decade1930-1939
CityPortland
CountyMultnomah
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Site Detail3830 Southeast 14th Avenue
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
schools (buildings)
schools (buildings)
public schools (buildings)
Period/StyleMediterranean Revival
Materials/TechniqueBrick; Cast stone
ReferencePPS Historic Building Assessment 2009
NotesOregon Historic Site Form Winterhaven School 3830 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County block nbr: lot nbr: tax lot nbr: township: range: section: 1/ 4: LOCATION AND PROPERTY NAME elig. evaluation: eligible/ significant primary orig use: School secondary orig use: primary style: Mediterranean Revival secondary style: primary siding: Standard Brick secondary siding: Cast Stone plan type: School ( General) Portland historic name: Winterhaven School primary constr date: 1930 secondary date: height (# stories): 2 total # ineligible resources: 1 ( optional-- use for major addns) current/ other names: Winterhaven at Brooklyn School ( c.) ( c.) orig use comments: prim style comments: sec style comments: location descr: assoc addresses: vcnty address: ( remote sites) siding comments: PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS farmstead/ cluster name: zip: total # eligible resources: 1 apprx. addrs resource type: Building NR status: RLS survey date: 6/ 24/ 2009 external site #: 239 ( ID# used in city/ agency database) survey project name or other grouping name comments/ notes: HRI Rank II. ILS survey date: 6/ 24/ 2009 Gen File date: SHPO INFO FOR THIS PROPERTY NR date listed: GROUPINGS / ASSOCIATIONS Optional Information 3830 SE 14th Ave Multnomah County ( former addresses, intersections, etc.) architect: Jones, George H. builder: NR date listed: ( indiv listed only; see Grouping for hist dist) 106 Project( s) PPS Historic Building Assessment 2009 Survey & Inventory Project Primary ( west) elevation. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 1 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Winterhaven School 3830 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County ARCHITECTURAL / PROPERTY DESCRIPTION ( Include expanded description of the building/ property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings, and alterations) HISTORY ( Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period [ preferably to the present]) Summary Description Winterhaven School ( formerly Brooklyn), is located at 3830 SE Avenue in the Brooklyn neighborhood of southeast Portland. The campus includes the L- shaped school building ( 239A) and a detached portable classroom ( 239 P1). Faced with variegated brick, the reinforced concrete building rests on a poured concrete foundation. Two bays project slightly from the west elevation to create a slight enclosure for the entry. The entry door is flanked by engaged pilasters and exhibits a wood window with a cast stone surround with bottom scrolls. Designed in the Mediterranean- Revival style, cast stone architectural details are located throughout the building and include cast stone coping, water table, and scroll work above the primary entry door. A brick chimney projects above the east elevation. Fenestration consists primarily of six- over- six, wood frame windows. Architectural Description Winterhaven School is located at 3830 SE Avenue in the Brooklyn neighborhood of southeast Portland. The 4.67 acre school campus is located at the northwest corner of Brooklyn School Park. The campus includes the L- shaped school building ( 239A & 239B) and a detached portable classroom ( 239P1). Asphalt covered play areas on the east side of the school connect to the larger open spaces of Brooklyn School Park. Development in the surrounding neighborhood consists primarily of single family residences built between 1928- 1950 ( Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps 1924- 1928, 1908- 1950). Faced with variegated brick, the reinforced concrete building rests on a poured concrete foundation. Red pantiles cover the low pitch hipped roof. The school is oriented on a north to south axis. Two bays project slightly from the west elevation to create a slight enclosure for the entry. The entry door, flanked by pilasters, is prominently marked by a projecting cross gable roof. Designed with modest Mediterranean Revival style detailing, the school features cast stone architectural details include cast stone coping, water table, and scroll work above the primary entry door. Fenestration consists primarily of original six- over- six, wood frame windows. The interior of the school is organized around an L- shaped circulation plan with double loaded corridors that connect to the classrooms, offices, and community spaces. The primary public spaces are located in the projecting wings at the north and south of ends of the building. Both wings feature double height arched windows. The auditorium, located in the north wing, features the original stage, lighting fixtures, and boxed beam ceiling. The cafeteria/ gymnasium is located in the south wing of the building. Exposed brick on the walls serves as a durable play surface. Additional classrooms are located in a one story brick addition ( 1955, 239B) that projects from the east side of the building. Flooring consists of a mixture of 12" x 12" tile, 6" x 6" tile, concrete, and terrazzo. Tubular fluorescent light fixtures are suspended from the ceiling. The classrooms are primarily rectangular. Built- in cabinets and chalkboards line the interior walls. Fluorescent light fixtures furnish additional illumination. The building is heated by two oil boilers located in a partial basement on the east side of the building. Heat for classrooms is provided by radiators in the main portion of the building and univents in the 1955 addition. Alterations The primary alterations to the school consist of the construction of the one story brick faced addition on the east side of the building in 1955. In response to the need for more classroom space a portable was added in 1966. There have been additional alterations to the interior including floor tile replacement in 1986, lighting changes, and the addition of an accessible entry in 1994. The school retains a high degree of integrity. The addition utilizes similar brick and is unobtrusively located on a secondary elevation. The ceiling height, stair location, and corridor configuration are intact. The gymnasium and auditorium have only been minimally altered. The school retains much of the original built- in cabinetry, moldings, and its original windows. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 2 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Winterhaven School 3830 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County Statement of Significance Constructed in 1930, Winterhaven ( formerly Brooklyn) School was part of the last wave of a dramatic building program begun by Portland Public Schools in the early 1900s. Gradually influenced by John Dewey's Progressive Education Movement, PPS responded to changing city demographics and ideas concerning school safety, sanitation, and child centered instructional methods beginning in the first decade of the 1900s ( Rippa, 1997: passim; Cremin 1961: 135- 153; Cubberley 1915: 283- 290). By 1905, it became increasingly clear that dramatic increases in school- age children outstripped the district's existing classroom capacity and existing schools could not effectively serve areas of the city where new residential development was occurring ( Cubberley 1915: 283- 285, 288- 290). After several well- publicized school fires elsewhere in the United States, calls for a more fundamental change in the building stock of the district began as early as 1906 when Mayor Lane called for the construction of new " fireproof" school buildings ( Oregonian, 10- 31- 1906). In 1910, various city neighborhood " advancement clubs" joined forces to discuss the unfit school buildings in their respective neighborhoods ( Oregonian 07- 31- 1910). Soon after this meeting, on August 16, 1910, the Portland City Council enacted a requirement that all schools constructed after January 1, 1911 would have to be of fire proof construction ( Powers and Corning 1937: 183). By 1914, in the first joint meeting between Portland city officials, Multnomah County Commissioners, and the school board, officials agreed to work with building code officials to encourage the use of fireproof construction and to implement fire safety measures in all existing and future schools ( Oregonian, 03- 31- 1914). In 1908, Portland Public Schools created the Bureau of Properties in an effort to centralize the management of the district's various properties ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). Within this office, the District architect took on a more formalized role in the design and maintenance of school facilities. Two of the most influential district architects during this period included Floyd Naramore and George Jones who designed a majority of the schools between 1908 and 1932. These new school buildings were often constructed of brick and concrete and were one or two stories in height. To speed the construction of the new schools and to anticipate later growth in the neighborhood, these new buildings were often constructed in units ( sometimes referred to as extensible schools) ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The buildings also contained more differentiated and increasingly specialized instructional spaces such as libraries, gymnasiums, science rooms, music rooms, as well as assembly spaces ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The architectural details of the new schools were largely encompassed by the Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, and Collegiate Gothic styles; architectural revivals that were viewed as inspirational and appropriate for educational settings ( Betelle 1919: 28; Sibley 1923: 66; Patton 1967: 1- 8). Between the onset of the Great Depression in 1929 and World War II in 1941, few schools were constructed in Portland, although several schools were recipients of Works Progress Administration funding for artwork, additions, system updates, and playground improvements. The architect of the Winterhaven School, George Jones, was well versed in the design of school facilities through his role as Superintendent of building for the district. The son of Thomas J. Jones, who had also served as district architect for many years, George Jones was born in Portland in 1887. After attending Oregon State College for two years, George Jones obtained a degree in architecture in 1913. Jones worked in New York for several years before serving with the U. S. Army Combat Engineers during World War I. Following his return to Portland in 1920, Jones obtained his architecture license. He quickly assumed the position of school architect after his predecessor Floyd A. Naramore became district architect for the Seattle School District. In his role as district architect, George Jones designed about 25 new schools and supervised the construction of additions for many existing buildings. Following his tenure with the Portland Schools, Jones went into private practice in Portland. With architect Harold Marsh, he established the firm of Jones & Marsh. Throughout his career Jones continued to specialize in school design, with projects in Pendleton, Klamath Falls and Oregon City. The firm of Jones & Marsh also designed additions to Roosevelt High School in Portland, buildings at Concordia Academy, and the Engineering wing and coliseum at Oregon State College in Corvallis ( Ritz 2003: 217). The Brooklyn School facility has evolved in response to the changing educational needs of the Portland school- age children. The current ( 1924) building replaced the original Brooklyn School located at Milwaukee and Haig Streets. The Oregonian noted that despite the sound condition of the 1891 building, its location near a streetcar line created hazardous situations for children so the school was demolished ( Oregonian 06- 21- 1923). The original school property was sold to the Portland Park Bureau and is the site of Brooklyn Park ( School Chronology Binder). The School District acquired land in Benedictine Heights and Feurers Addition for $ 25,972.50 in 1924 to be developed for the new Brooklyn School. The design by George Jones for the 1924 school is a good example of the Superintendent's response to the evolving requirements for safety, construction, and instructional techniques in early twentieth century Portland schools. The two story reinforced masonry building in the Mediterranean- Revival style provided an elegant architectural pastiche for the underlying fireproof construction, specialized classroom spaces, and large group meeting areas. Between 1936- 1939, the building was used as the facility for the Edison six year high school for girls ( Oregon Journal 08- 24- 1937, Portland Chronology Binder). This action drew criticism from the neighborhood over the lack of facilities in the neighborhood for its elementary school age children. A similar controversy arose in the 1980s over the proposed use of the building as an early childhood center ( Oregonian 05- 10- 1986). The Brooklyn facility currently houses Winterhaven a K- 8 school focused on math, science, and technology ( Winterhaven School web site). The primary alterations to the school consist of the construction of the one story addition on the east side of the building in 1955 and the addition of the portable in 1966. There have been additional alterations to the interior including floor tile replacement in 1986, lighting changes, and the addition of an accessible entry in 1994. The school retains a high degree of integrity. The addition utilizes similar brick and is unobtrusively located on a secondary elevation. The ceiling height, stair location, and corridor configuration are intact. The gymnasium and auditorium have only been minimally altered. The school retains much of the original built- in cabinetry, moldings, and its original windows. Winterhaven School is a good example of the schools designed by George Jones during his tenure as Superintendent of Building of Portland Public Schools. The 1955 addition is modest in scale and located to the east of the primary school building. This addition is over 50 years old and sensitively designed by one of Portland's most prominent architectural firms - Belluschi, Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill. In comparison with other Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 3 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Winterhaven School 3830 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County RESEARCH INFORMATION Title Records Sanborn Maps Obituaries City Directories Census Records Biographical Sources Newspapers Building Permits Property Tax Records SHPO Files State Archives State Library Local Histories Interviews Historic Photographs Local Library: Multnomah County Library University Library: Portland State University Library Historical Society: Oregon Historical Society Other Repository: PPS Archives Bibliography: Betelle, James O. " Architectural Styles as Applied to School Buildings." American School Board Journal. Vol. 58 ( April 1919). Cremin, Lawrence. The Transformation of the School: Progressivism in American Education, 1876- 1957. New York: A. Knopt, 1961. Cubberley, Ellwood Patterson. The Portland Survey: A Textbook on City School Administration Based on a Concrete Study. Yonkers-on- Hudson, NY: World Book Co., 1915. Oregon Journal. " Board turns Brooklyn back to Edison High" 08- 24- 1937. Oregonian. " School Condemned by School Board – NO. 5." 06- 02- 1923. Oregonian. " Change Favored in School Buildings." 3- 31- 1914. Oregonian. " Mayor Lane and the Schools." 10- 31- 1906. Oregonian. " Three New Schools Ready for Opening. Other Buildings Remodeled and Painted." 8- 19- 1928. Oregonian. " School Buildings are Called Unfit." 7- 31- 1910. Oregonian. " Conversion of school would derail Brooklyn housing project, board told." 05- 10- 1986. Patton, Glenn. " American Collegiate Gothic: A Phase of University Architectural Development." Journal of Higher Education. Vol. 38, No. 1 ( January, 1967). Portland Public Schools. Schools Chronology Binder. Powers, Alfred and Howard McKinley Corning, History of Education in Portland. [ Portland]: Work Projects Administration, 1937. Rippa, Alexander. Education in a Free Society: An American History. New York: Longman, 1997. Ritz, Richard. E. Architects of Oregon. A Biographical Dictionary of Architects Deceased – 19th and 20th Centuries. Portland: Lair Hill Publishing, 2003. Sanborn Map Company 1924- 1928, 1908- Dec. 1950 Sanborn Maps, Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, Oregon. Available at: https:// catalog. multcolib. org/ validate? url= http% 3A% 2F% 2F0- sanborn. umi. com. catalog. multcolib. org% 3A80% 2F. Accessed June 16, 2009. Sibley, Ernest. " Why I Prefer the Colonial Style." School Board Journal: Vol. 66 ( January 1923). Winterhaven School. " About Winterhaven." http:// www. winterhavenschool. org/ about. php. Website accessed July 20, 2009. ( Check all of the basic sources consulted and cite specific important sources) Portland schools during the same period and constructed of similar styles, Winterhaven/ Brooklyn School retains a high degree of integrity and is therefore eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A as an example of school planning. The school is also eligible under Criterion C as an example of the work of George Jones in the Mediterranean- Revival style. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 4 of 4 West elevation facing east West elevation facing southeast East Elevation South elevation addition Winterhaven School Exterior Photos ENTRIX, 2009 South elevation Corridor facing south Gymansium Classroom built- in Auditorium facing east Classroom addition Winterhaven School Interior Photos ENTRIX, 2009 Updated to 1924- 1928, Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1012. Arrow points to future location of Brooklyn Public School ( now Winterhaven). Updated to 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1012. Arrow points to Brooklyn Public School ( now Winterhaven). Note street change and removal of houses at school location. Winterhaven School ( Brooklyn) 3830 SE 14th Ave, Portland OR, 97202 Building Periods 1. Main Building ( 239A), 1930 2. Main Bldg Add ( 239B), 1955 3. Classroom Add ( 239C), 1966 SE 14th Ave SE Center St Aerial photo © 2009 Metro, Portland OR Imagery Date: July 12, 2007 2009 photograph of the front entrance to the Brooklyn School ( now Winterhaven). View Site in Google Maps Historical Significance and Building Integrity Contrib: High Significance Contrib: Moderate Signif. Non- Contributing 0' 50' 100' 200' N sandy Blvd Lombard st powell Blvd 82nd ave MLK jr b lvd 1 2 3
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
File NameOR_Multnomah_Portland_Winterhaven.pdf
Contributing InstitutionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^