University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Grout School (Portland, Oregon)
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object NameGrout School (Portland, Oregon)
ViewOregon Historic Site Form. Prepared by Iris Eschen.
Alternate NameDaniel A. Grout Elementary School (Portland, Oregon)
Creator/RoleGeorge Howell Jones (architect, 1887-1950)
CreatorJones, George H.
Date1927
Decade1920-1929
CityPortland
CountyMultnomah
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Site Detail3119 Southeast Holgate Boulevard
Photograph Date2009
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
schools (buildings)
public schools (buildings)
rooms and spaces
architectural drawings (visual works)
plans (orthographic projections)
floor plans
Period/StyleMediterranean Revival
Materials/TechniqueBrick; Cast Stone
ReferencePPS Historic Building Assessment 2009
NotesOregon Historic Site Form Grout School 3119 Holgate Blvd Portland, Multnomah County block nbr: lot nbr: tax lot nbr: township: range: section: 1/ 4: LOCATION AND PROPERTY NAME elig. evaluation: eligible/ significant primary orig use: School secondary orig use: primary style: Mediterranean Revival secondary style: primary siding: Standard Brick secondary siding: Cast Stone plan type: School ( General) Portland historic name: Grout School primary constr date: 1927 secondary date: height (# stories): 3 total # ineligible resources: 0 ( optional-- use for major addns) current/ other names: Daniel A. Grout Elementary School ( c.) ( c.) orig use comments: prim style comments: sec style comments: location descr: assoc addresses: vcnty address: ( remote sites) siding comments: PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS farmstead/ cluster name: zip: total # eligible resources: 1 apprx. addrs resource type: Building NR status: RLS survey date: 6/ 24/ 2009 external site #: 255 ( ID# used in city/ agency database) survey project name or other grouping name comments/ notes: The property contains one contributing resource, main school building ( 255A). The building is listed as a HRI Rank II resource. ILS survey date: 6/ 24/ 2009 Gen File date: SHPO INFO FOR THIS PROPERTY NR date listed: GROUPINGS / ASSOCIATIONS Optional Information 3119 SE Holgate Blvd Multnomah County ( former addresses, intersections, etc.) architect: Jones, George builder: NR date listed: ( indiv listed only; see Grouping for hist dist) 106 Project( s) PPS Historic Building Assessment 2009 Survey & Inventory Project South elevation. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 1 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Grout School 3119 Holgate Blvd Portland, Multnomah County ARCHITECTURAL / PROPERTY DESCRIPTION ( Include expanded description of the building/ property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings, and alterations) HISTORY ( Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period [ preferably to the present]) Summary Description Situated in the Creston- Kenilworth neighborhood of southeast Portland, Grout Elementary School is located at 3119 SE Holgate Boulevard. The two story school building is situated at the south corner of the 2.30- acre parcel. The reinforced concrete structure, faced in red brick rests on a poured concrete foundation. The flat roof is covered in asphalt roofing material. Variations in the brick work including the utilization of bands of soldier courses and sloping brick window sills, provides additional relief on the long elevations Fenestration consists of a mixture of six- over- six, wood frame windows and grouped metal frame windows set in the original openings. Designed with modest Mediterranean and Late Gothic Revival stylistic elements, the school presents a castle- like front entrance that consists of projecting bays that emphasize the main entrance to the building. Cast stone architectural embellishments include a scalloped parapet, frieze band, belt courses, and cap to the concrete water table. Architectural Description Situated in the Creston- Kelinworth neighborhood of southeast Portland, Grout Elementary School is located at 3119 SE Holgate Boulevard. The neighborhood is comprised primarily of single family residences built between 1928- 1960 ( Sanborn Maps 1924- 1928, Sanborn Map updated to 1950). The two story school building is situated at the northeast corner of the 2.30- acre parcel. An asphalt- covered parking lot is located to the north of the building. Asphalt- covered play areas and several play fields occupy the north end of the parcel. The property does not contain any other ancillary buildings. The square mass of the reinforced concrete building is faced in red brick and rests on a poured concrete foundation. The flat roof, covered in asphalt roofing material, is largely hidden by a parapet with cast stone coping. Fenestration consists of a mixture of six- over- six, wood frame windows and grouped metal frame windows set in the original openings. Variations in the brick work including the utilization of bands of soldier courses and sloping brick window sills that provide visual relief on the long elevations. The cast stone architectural embellishments include a scalloped parapet, frieze band, belt courses, and cap to the concrete water table. Additional cast stone details and projecting bays distinguish the entries to the building. The primary entry to the building is from the south, through a recessed court, flanked by two projecting two story bays. Immediately above the entry, a gabled parapet with a scalloped cornice accentuates the importance of this entry, as do the five semi- circular arched window openings separated by Ionic- Order engaged columns. The interior of the school is arranged around a U- shaped plan consisting of double loaded corridors that provide access to the classrooms, offices, and community spaces. The library and office flank the primary entry. Immediately opposite the entry is the auditorium that retains its original stage, seating and balcony. At the north side of the school a pair of connected gymnasiums are separated by a sliding wood door. The floors are clad in a mixture of 6" x 6" tiles, newer 12" x 12" tiles, carpet, concrete, and hardwood. Tubular fluorescent light figures are suspended from the acoustic tile covered ceiling. Many spaces feature original woodwork in the doors, moldings, window surrounds, and built- ins. The classrooms are primarily rectangular. Chalkboards and built- in cabinetry are located on the interior walls. Heat for the individual spaces are provided by radiators and univents. Alterations Since the time of its construction in 1927, there have only been minimal alterations to the school. The replacement of many of the windows resulted in a significant change to the original appearance of the school ( 1984, 1987). The most significant interior alteration occurred in 1988/ 89 when the library was relocated from the central bay on the second story to its current ground floor location. At this time, the original library was subdivided to create space for two classrooms. On the ground floor, a new entry projects into the existing corridor to more prominently indicate the entry to the media center. More modest changes include the addition of acoustic tiles and new lighting fixtures in 1953, changes to flooring ( 1987, 1989), and installation of partition walls in various classrooms ( Grout Elementary School Facility Profile). Integrity Due to the minimal changes and excellent maintenance, Grout Elementary School retains a high degree of integrity. The corridors, stair locations, and ceiling height continue to demonstrate the original circulation and spatial arrangements of the school. The majority of classrooms retain their original configuration and many built- ins. The auditorium and gymnasiums are highly intact. The cast stone and brickwork have been extremely well cared for, maintaining the sense of design, workmanship, and materials. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 2 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Grout School 3119 Holgate Blvd Portland, Multnomah County RESEARCH INFORMATION Statement of Significance Constructed in 1928, Grout Elementary School was part of the last wave of a dramatic building program begun by Portland Public Schools in the early 1900s. Gradually influenced by John Dewey's Progressive Education Movement, the program responded to changing city demographics and ideas concerning school safety, sanitation, and child centered instructional methods beginning in the first decade of the 1900s ( Rippa, 1997: passim; Cremin 1961: 135- 153; Cubberley 1915: 283- 290). By 1905, it became increasingly clear that dramatic increases in school- age children outstripped the district's existing classroom capacity and existing schools could not effectively serve areas of the city where new residential development was occurring ( Cubberley 1915: 283- 285, 288- 290). After several well- publicized school fires elsewhere in the United States, calls for a more fundamental change in the building stock of the district began as early as 1906 when Mayor Lane called for the construction of new " fireproof" school buildings ( Oregonian, 10- 31- 1906). In 1910, various city neighborhood " advancement clubs" joined forces to discuss the unfit school buildings in their respective neighborhoods ( Oregonian 07- 31- 1910). Soon after this meeting, on August 16, 1910, the Portland City Council enacted a requirement that all schools constructed after January 1, 1911 would have to be of fireproof construction ( Powers and Corning 1937: 183). By 1914, in the first joint meeting between Portland city officials, Multnomah County Commissioners, and the school board, officials agreed to work with building code officials to encourage the use of fireproof construction and to implement fire safety measures in all existing and future schools ( Oregonian, 03- 31- 1914). In 1908, Portland Public Schools created the Bureau of Properties in an effort to centralize the management of the district's various properties ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). Within this office, the District architect took on a more formalized role in the design and maintenance of school facilities. Two of the most influential district architects during this period included Floyd Naramore and George Jones who designed a majority of the schools between 1908 and 1932. These new school buildings were often constructed of brick and concrete and were one or two stories in height. To speed the construction of the new schools and to anticipate later growth in the neighborhood, these new buildings were often constructed in units ( sometimes referred to as extensible schools) ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The buildings also contained more differentiated and increasingly specialized instructional spaces such as libraries, gymnasiums, science rooms, music rooms, as well as assembly spaces ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The architectural details of the new schools were largely inspired by the Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, and Collegiate Gothic styles; architectural revivals that were viewed as inspirational and appropriate for educational settings although in Portland several schools were also constructed in the Mediterranean style ( Betelle 1919: 28; Sibley 1923: 66; Patton 1967: 1- 8). Between the onset of the Great Depression in 1929 and World War II in 1941, few schools were constructed in Portland, although several schools were recipients of Works Progress Administration funding for artwork, additions, system updates, and playground improvements. The architect of Grout Elementary School, George Jones, was well versed in the design of school facilities through his role as Superintendent of building for the district. The son of Thomas J. Jones, who had also served as district architect for many years, George Jones was born in Portland in 1887. After attending Oregon State College for two years, George Jones obtained a degree in architecture in 1913. Jones worked in New York for several years before serving with the U. S. Army Combat Engineers during World War I. Following his return to Portland in 1920, Jones obtained his architecture license. He quickly assumed the position of school architect after his predecessor Floyd A. Naramore became district architect for the Seattle School District. In his role as district architect, George Jones designed about 25 new schools and supervised the construction of additions for many existing buildings. Following his tenure with the Portland Schools, Jones went into private practice in Portland. With architect Harold Marsh, he established the firm of Jones & Marsh. Throughout his career Jones continued to specialize in school design, with projects in Pendleton, Klamath Falls and Oregon City. The firm of Jones & Marsh also designed additions to Roosevelt High School in Portland, buildings at Concordia Academy, and the Engineering wing and coliseum at Oregon State College in Corvallis ( Ritz 2003: 217). Named in honor of Daniel A. Grout who served as the Superintendent of Portland Public Schools between 1919- 1925, Grout Elementary School was developed in response to residential growth in the surrounding neighborhood during the 1920s ( Snyder: 1979: 238; Oregonian 09- 28- 1924). In 1924 the board acquired the property at the corner of Holgate and 32nd Street for $ 8,000 ( Portland Chronology Binder). The plan to build a new school and alleviate crowding at Clinton Kelly School drew immediate protests ( Oregonian 09- 28- 1924). The owners and residents of the Oddfellows home, located near the proposed school site, feared that the large numbers of school children would disturb its residents and result in the theft of fruit from the trees on its property. Despite the controversy, the school board continued with its plans, in part due to expected economies resulting from sharing playfields with the adjacent Kenilworth Park ( Oregonian 09- 28- 1924). The board announced in March of 1927 that Hansen- Hammond Co provided the low bid of $ 214,000 for the construction of the new school. Rushlight, Hastorg & Lord provided the low bid of $ 32,943 for the heating work ( Oregonian 03- 28- 1927). The cornerstone for the new school was laid on February 15, 1928 in a ceremony attended by Charles Rice, the superintendent of schools and the chairman of the school board, F. S. Pickering ( Oregonian 02- 16- 1928). Since the time of its construction in 1928, there have only been minimal alterations to the school. The replacement of many of the windows resulted in the most significant change to the original appearance of the school ( 1984, 1987). The most significant interior alteration occurred in 1988/ 89 when the library was relocated from the central bay on the second story to its current ground floor location. Despite the alterations, the school retains a high degree of integrity. The ceiling height, stair location, and corridor configuration are intact. The gymnasium and auditorium have only been minimally altered. The school retains much of the built- in cabinetry, flooring, moldings and other woodwork, and many original windows. Grout Elementary School is a good example of the schools designed by George Jones during his tenure as Superintendent of Building of Portland Public Schools. In comparison with other Portland schools developed during the same period and constructed of similar styles, Grout Elementary School retains a high degree of integrity and is therefore eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A as an example of school planning and development of the Creston- Kenilworth neighborhood. The school is also eligible under Criterion C as an example of the work of George Jones in the Mediterranean style. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 3 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Grout School 3119 Holgate Blvd Portland, Multnomah County Title Records Sanborn Maps Obituaries City Directories Census Records Biographical Sources Newspapers Building Permits Property Tax Records SHPO Files State Archives State Library Local Histories Interviews Historic Photographs Local Library: Multnomah County Library University Library: Portland State University Library Historical Society: Oregon Historical Society Other Repository: PPS Archives Bibliography: Betelle, James O. " Architectural Styles as Applied to School Buildings." American School Board Journal. Vol. 58 ( April 1919). Cremin, Lawrence. The Transformation of the School: Progressivism in American Education, 1876- 1957. New York: A. Knopt, 1961. Cubberley, Ellwood Patterson. The Portland Survey: A Textbook on City School Administration Based on a Concrete Study. Yonkers-on- Hudson, NY: World Book Co., 1915. Oregon Daily Journal, " Hammond CO. Is Low Bidder on Grout School." 03- 28- 1927. Oregonian. " School Site Protested." 09- 28- 1924. Oregonian. " Change Favored in School Buildings." 3- 31- 1914. Oregonian. " Mayor Lane and the Schools." 10- 31- 1906. Oregonian. " School Buildings are Called Unfit." 7- 31- 1910. Oregonian. ‘ Stone Laid for School." 02- 16- 1928. Portland Public Schools. Schools Chronology Binder. Powers, Alfred and Howard McKinley Corning, History of Education in Portland. [ Portland]: Work Projects Administration, 1937. Rippa, Alexander. Education in a Free Society: An American History. New York: Longman, 1997. Ritz, Richard. E. Architects of Oregon. A Biographical Dictionary of Architects Deceased – 19th and 20th Centuries. Portland: Lair Hill Publishing, 2003. Sanborn Map Company 1924- 1928, 1908- Dec. 1950 Sanborn Maps, Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, Oregon. Available at: https:// catalog. multcolib. org/ validate? url= http% 3A% 2F% 2F0- sanborn. umi. com. catalog. multcolib. org% 3A80% 2F. Accessed June 16, 2009. Sibley, Ernest. " Why I Prefer the Colonial Style." School Board Journal: Vol. 66 ( January 1923). Snyder, Eugene E. Portland Names and Neighborhoods. Their Historic Origins. Portland: Binforrd & Mort Publishing; 1st edition 1979. ( Check all of the basic sources consulted and cite specific important sources) Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 4 of 4 South elevation facing north East elevation West elevation South elevation facing northeast North elevation Grout Elementary School Exterior Photos ENTRIX 2009 2nd floor corridor and skylight Auditorium Classroom built- in Former library converted to classroom Connecting door between gymnasiums Grout Elementary School Interior Photos ENTRIX 2009 1924- 1928, Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1028. Arrow points to future location of Daniel R. Grout Public School. Note small school house at location. Updated to 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1028. Arrow points to Daniel R. Grout Public School. Grout School 3119 SE Holgate Blvd, Portland OR, 97202 Building Periods 1. Main Building ( 255A), 1927 2. Play Shed ( 255B), 1978 Aerial photo © 2009 Metro, Portland OR Imagery Date: July 12, 2007 Late 1920s photograph of the Grout School, looking northwest. SE Insley St SE 31st Ave SE 32nd Ave SE 31st Ave View Site in Google Maps Historical Significance and Building Integrity Contrib: High Significance Contrib: Moderate Signif. Non- Contributing 0' 50' 100' 200' N sandy Blvd Lombard st powell Blvd 82nd ave MLK jr b lvd 1 2
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
File NameOR_Multnomah_Portland_Grout.pdf
Contributing InstitutionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^