University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Lane School (Portland, Oregon)
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object NameLane School (Portland, Oregon)
ViewOregon Historic Site Form. Prepared by Iris Eschen.
Alternate NameLane Middle School (Portland, Oregon)
Errol Heights School (Portland, Oregon)
Creator/RoleGeorge Howell Jones (architect, 1887-1950)
CreatorJones, George H.
Date1927
1987
Decade1920-1929
1980-1989
CityPortland
CountyMultnomah
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Site Detail7200 Southeast 60th Avenue
Photograph Date2009
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
schools (buildings)
public schools (buildings)
rooms
architectural drawings (visual works)
plans (orthographic projections)
floor plans
Period/StyleClassical Revival
Materials/TechniqueBrick; Cast Stone
ReferencePPS Historic Building Assessment 2009
NotesOregon Historic Site Form Lane School 7200 60th Ave Portland, Multnomah County block nbr: SEC lot nbr: R99 tax lot nbr: R33611 township: range: section: 1/ 4: LOCATION AND PROPERTY NAME elig. evaluation: not eligible/ non- contributing primary orig use: School secondary orig use: primary style: Classical Revival: other secondary style: primary siding: Standard Brick secondary siding: Cast Stone plan type: School ( General) Portland historic name: Lane School primary constr date: 1927 secondary date: 1987 height (# stories): 2 total # ineligible resources: 1 ( optional-- use for major addns) current/ other names: Lane Middle School, Errol Heights School ( c.) ( c.) orig use comments: prim style comments: Twentieth Century Classical sec style comments: location descr: assoc addresses: vcnty address: ( remote sites) siding comments: Variegated light red brick PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS farmstead/ cluster name: zip: total # eligible resources: 0 apprx. addrs resource type: Building NR status: RLS survey date: 6/ 4/ 2009 external site #: 263 ( ID# used in city/ agency database) survey project name or other grouping name comments/ notes: ILS survey date: 6/ 4/ 2009 Gen File date: SHPO INFO FOR THIS PROPERTY NR date listed: GROUPINGS / ASSOCIATIONS Optional Information 7200 SE 60th Ave Multnomah County ( former addresses, intersections, etc.) architect: George H. Jones builder: NR date listed: ( indiv listed only; see Grouping for hist dist) 106 Project( s) PPS Historic Building Assessment 2009 Survey & Inventory Project West elevation Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 1 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Lane School 7200 60th Ave Portland, Multnomah County ARCHITECTURAL / PROPERTY DESCRIPTION ( Include expanded description of the building/ property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings, and alterations) HISTORY ( Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period [ preferably to the present]) Summary Description Lane School is situated in the Brentwood Darlington neighborhood of southeast Portland at 7200 SE 60th Avenue. The two story building rests on a poured concrete foundation. Constructed from reinforced concrete with a cladding of variegated light red brick, the Classical Revival style building features cast stone cartouches, arched window and door openings, and coping at the parapet. Later additions to the school are also clad in variegated brick but with minimal architectural ornamentation. Setting Lane School is situated in the Brentwood Darlington neighborhood of southeast Portland at 7200 SE 60th Avenue. Development in the neighborhood consists of primarily single family residences constructed between 1925 and 1950 ( Sanborn Maps updated to 1950). The 9.10- acre school campus retains a pastoral quality due to its location immediately to the south of Brentwood Park. Tennis courts, ball fields, and playgrounds occupy the east side of campus. The primary entrance to the campus is from 60th Avenue. Secondary entrances are located adjacent to the asphalt covered parking areas that occupy the north and south ends of the building. The irregularly shaped school building is situated at the west edge of the school campus. The two story building rests on a poured concrete foundation. Constructed from reinforced concrete with a variegated light red brick veneer, the Classical Revival style building features cast stone cartouches, arched window and door openings, and coping at the parapet. Later additions to the school are also clad in variegated brick but with minimal architectural ornamentation. The flat roof of the building is punctuated by skylights and interior courtyards that provide additional daylight for the school building. The primary fenestration consists of metal frame windows, although some original multi- light wood frame windows remain. On the east elevation, the central wing of the school projects slightly from the main mass of the building. This projecting bay features a group of three double height arched entry doors, accessed from a short flight of stairs, that serves as the primary entry to the school. The school consists of a central wing constructed in 1926, an addition on the southeast side constructed in 1948, an addition on the north side built in 1955, and an addition on the west that was added in 1987. The double height lobby, flanked by administrative offices, connects to a series of double loaded corridors that provide access to the classrooms and community spaces of the building. Additional egress is provided through doors at the end of each corridor. Community spaces, including an open " commons", gymnasium, and media center, are centrally located on the east side of the school. The majority of the classrooms are rectangular with built- ins located on one of the interior walls. The built- ins date from various periods but are typically original to the period of construction of the wing of the building. The interior finishes include linoleum tile flooring, carpet, gypsum board walls, and newer wood or metal doors. Flourescent light fixtures are suspended from acoustic tile dropped ceilings. Some original woodwork remains including window surrounds, interior transoms, and base, chair, and picture moldings. The original oil boilers provide heat for the school. Alterations/ Integrity The school has been considerably altered over time from its original U- shaped plan. Major additions were built in 1948, 1955, and 1987. As the additions were built, many of the spaces in the original building were altered including the entry lobby and original gymnasium. In the process of the additions, the configuration of the corridors and the circulation for the school was also changed. Although some original woodwork remains, the majority of the interior finishes have been replaced. Due to the extensive alterations and additions Joseph Lane Middle School no longer retains its integrity. On the exterior, the original character of the school is still evident from the handsome brickwork, projecting bays, and terra cotta details in the Classical Revival style but the accumulation of interior and exterior alterations have substantially reduced the integrity of the design and workmanship. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 2 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Lane School 7200 60th Ave Portland, Multnomah County RESEARCH INFORMATION ( Check all of the basic sources consulted and cite specific important sources) Statement of Significance Constructed in 1926, Lane School was part of the last wave of an extensive building program begun by Portland Public Schools in the early 1900s. Gradually influenced by John Dewey's Progressive Education Movement, the program responded to changing city demographics and ideas concerning school safety, sanitation, and child centered instructional methods beginning in the first decade of the 1900s ( Rippa, 1997: passim; Cremin 1961: 135- 153; Cubberley 1915: 283- 290). By 1905, it became increasingly clear that dramatic increases in school- age children outstripped the district's existing classroom capacity and existing schools could not effectively serve areas of the city where new residential development was occurring ( Cubberley 1915: 283- 285, 288- 290). After several well- publicized school fires elsewhere in the United States, calls for a more fundamental change in the building stock of the district began as early as 1906 when Mayor Lane called for the construction of new " fireproof" school buildings ( Oregonian, 10- 31- 1906). In 1910, various city neighborhood " advancement clubs" joined forces to discuss the unfit school buildings in their respective neighborhoods ( Oregonian 07- 31- 1910). Soon after this meeting, on August 16, 1910, the Portland City Council enacted a requirement that all schools constructed after January 1, 1911 would have to be of fire proof construction ( Powers and Corning 1937: 183). By 1914, in the first joint meeting between Portland city officials, Multnomah County Commissioners, and the school board, officials agreed to work with building code officials to encourage the use of fireproof construction and to implement fire safety measures in all existing and future schools ( Oregonian, 03- 31- 1914). In 1908, Portland Public Schools created the Bureau of Properties in an effort to centralize the management of the district's various properties ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). Within this office, the district architect took on a more formalized role in the design and maintenance of school facilities. Two of the most influential district architects during this period included Floyd A. Naramore and George H. Jones who designed a majority of the schools between 1908 and 1932. These new school buildings were often constructed of brick and concrete and were one or two stories in height. To speed the construction of the new schools and to anticipate later growth in the neighborhood, these new buildings were often constructed in units ( sometimes referred to as extensible schools) ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The buildings also contained more differentiated and increasingly specialized instructional spaces such as libraries, gymnasiums, science rooms, music rooms, as well as assembly spaces ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The architectural details of the new schools were largely encompassed by the Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, and Collegiate Gothic styles; architectural revivals that were viewed as inspirational and appropriate for educational settings ( Betelle 1919: 28; Sibley 1923: 66; Patton 1967: 1- 8). The architect of Lane School, George Jones, was well versed in the design of school facilities through his role as Superintendent of building for the district. The son of Thomas J. Jones, who had also served as district architect for many years, George Jones was born in Portland in 1887. After attending Oregon State College for two years, George Jones obtained a degree in architecture in 1913. Jones worked in New York for several years before serving with the U. S. Army Combat Engineers during World War I. Following his return to Portland in 1920, Jones obtained his architecture license. He quickly assumed the position of school architect after his predecessor Floyd A. Naramore became district architect for the Seattle School District. In his role as district architect, George Jones designed about 25 new schools and supervised the construction of additions for many existing buildings. Following his tenure with Portland Public Schools, Jones went into private practice in Portland. With architect Harold Marsh, he established the firm of Jones & Marsh. Throughout his career Jones continued to specialize in school design, with projects in Pendleton, Klamath Falls and Oregon City. The firm of Jones & Marsh also designed additions to Roosevelt High School in Portland, buildings at Concordia Academy, and the Engineering wing and coliseum at Oregon State College in Corvallis ( Ritz 2003: 217). Portland Public Schools acquired the property at 7200 SE 60th Street in 1926 for $ 8,000.01. Initially referred to as Errol Heights School, the first buildings on the property were several portables ( Portland Chronology Binder). The board announced in November of 1926 that it would solicit bids for the construction of a permanent school building for the site ( Oregonian 11- 02- 1926). In December of that year, a group representing the parents of children at the school recommended changing the name from Errol Heights. The group hoped to provide a list of proposed choices from which the board would select the final name ( Oregonian 12- 07- 1926). Eventually the school was named in honor of Joseph Lane, the first territorial governor of Oregon who later represented Oregon in the U. S. Senate ( Sibley). The cornerstone was laid in a ceremony held on June 03, 1927 ( Oregonian 06- 04- 1927). By fall 1927 the new Classical Revival building was occupied ( Portland Chronology Binder). Lane Middle School has been considerably altered over time from its original rectangular plan. Major additions were built in 1948 and 1955. In 1987, to facilitate the use of the building as a middle school a new wing was added and the interiors spaces extensively remodeled. Many of the significant spaces in the original building were altered including the entry lobby and original gymnasium. In the process of the additions, the configuration of the corridors and the circulation for the school was also changed. Although some original woodwork remains, the majority of the interior finishes have been replaced. Although designed by George H. Jones during his tenure as Superintendent of Building for Portland Public Schools and associated with several events related to the growth of the Portland School District, Lane Middle School does not retain a level of historical integrity commensurate with other Portland Middle Schools constructed of similar styles during the same period and is therefore not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places ( NRHP). While the Classical Revival style is clearly discernable on the building, several alterations have diminished the building's integrity of materials, design, and feeling. These alterations include the removal of windows, construction of prominent additions, and extensive interior modifications that have blurred the original corridor plan and altered major spaces including the original auditorium. Due to the loss of integrity, Lane Middle School is not eligible under either NRHP Criteria A, B, or C. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 3 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Lane School 7200 60th Ave Portland, Multnomah County Title Records Sanborn Maps Obituaries City Directories Census Records Biographical Sources Newspapers Building Permits Property Tax Records SHPO Files State Archives State Library Local Histories Interviews Historic Photographs Local Library: Multnomah County Library University Library: Portland State University Library Historical Society: Oregon Historical Society Other Repository: PPS Archives Bibliography: Bibliography Betelle, James O. " Architectural Styles as Applied to School Buildings." American School Board Journal. Vol. 58 ( April 1919). Cremin, Lawrence. The Transformation of the School: Progressivism in American Education, 1876- 1957. New York: A. Knopt, 1961. Cubberley, Ellwood Patterson. The Portland Survey: A Textbook on City School Administration Based on a Concrete Study. Yonkers-on- Hudson, NY: World Book Co., 1915. Oregonian. " Patrons to Select Names for Schools." 12- 07- 1926. Oregonian. " Change Favored in School Buildings." 3- 31- 1914. Oregonian. " Mayor Lane and the Schools." 10- 31- 1906. Oregonian. " School Buildings are Called Unfit." 7- 31- 1910. Oregonian " School Plans Ordered." 11- 02- 1926. Oregonian. " Cornerstones Laid for 2 new schools." 06- 04- 1927. Portland Public Schools. Schools Chronology Binder. ______. " Annual Report of the Portland Schools 1932- 1933. Powers, Alfred and Howard McKinley Corning, History of Education in Portland. [ Portland]: Work Projects Administration, 1937. Rippa, Alexander. Education in a Free Society: An American History. New York: Longman, 1997. Ritz, Richard. E. Architects of Oregon. A Biographical Dictionary of Architects Deceased – 19th and 20th Centuries. Portland: Lair Hill Publishing, 2003. Sanborn Map Company 1924- 1928, 1908- Dec. 1950 Sanborn Maps, Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, Oregon. Available at: https:// catalog. multcolib. org/ validate? url= http% 3A% 2F% 2F0- sanborn. umi. com. catalog. multcolib. org% 3A80% 2F. Accessed June 16, 2009. Sibley, Ernest. " Why I Prefer the Colonial Style." School Board Journal: Vol. 66 ( January 1923). Snyder, Eugene E. Portland Names and Neighborhoods. Their Historic Origins. Portland: Binforrd & Mort Publishing; 1st edition 1979. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 4 of 4 West elevation facing east South elevation West elevation facing southeast East elevation facing west North elevation facing southeast Lane School Exterior Photos ENTRIX 2009 Entry lobby facing west Ramp, staircase facing north 2nd floor corridor facing south Classroom built- ins facing east Commons facing west Lane School Interior Photos ENTRIX 2009 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1199C. Arrow points to Joseph Lane Public School. Lane School 7200 SE 60th Ave, Portland OR, 97206 Building Periods 1. Original Building ( 263A), 1926 2. Addition ( 263A), 1948 3. Addition ( 263A), 1955 4. Addition ( 263A), 1987 Aerial photo © 2009 Metro, Portland OR Imagery Date: July 12, 2007 NE 60th Ave 2009 photograph of the front entrance to the Lane School. View Site in Google Maps Historical Significance and Building Integrity Contrib: High Significance Contrib: Moderate Signif. Non- Contributing 0' 50' 100' 200' N sandy Blvd Lombard st powell Blvd 82nd ave MLK jr b lvd 1 2 3 4
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
File NameOR_Multnomah_Portland_Lane.pdf
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^