University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Llewellyn School (Portland, Oregon)
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object NameLlewellyn School (Portland, Oregon)
ViewOregon Historic Site Form. Prepared by Iris Eschen.
Alternate NameLlewellyn Elementary School (Portland, Oregon)
Creator/RoleGeorge Howell Jones (architect, 1887-1950)
Anderson Construction Company (builder/contractor)
CreatorJones, George H.
Anderson Construction Company
Date1928
1952
Decade1920-1929
1950-1959
CityPortland
CountyMultnomah
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Photograph Date2009
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
schools (buildings)
public schools (buildings)
rooms
architectural drawings (visual works)
plans (orthographic projections)
floor plans
Period/StyleMediterranean Revival; Classical Revival
Materials/TechniqueBrick; Cast Stone
ReferencePPS Historic Building Assessment 2009
NotesOregon Historic Site Form Llewellyn School 6301 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County block nbr: lot nbr: tax lot nbr: township: range: section: 1/ 4: LOCATION AND PROPERTY NAME elig. evaluation: not eligible/ non- contributing primary orig use: School secondary orig use: primary style: Classical Revival: other secondary style: Mediterranean Revival primary siding: Standard Brick secondary siding: Cast Stone plan type: School ( General) Portland historic name: Llewellyn School primary constr date: 1928 secondary date: 1952 height (# stories): 2 total # ineligible resources: 3 ( optional-- use for major addns) current/ other names: Llewellyn Elementary School ( c.) ( c.) orig use comments: prim style comments: sec style comments: location descr: assoc addresses: vcnty address: ( remote sites) siding comments: PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS farmstead/ cluster name: zip: total # eligible resources: apprx. addrs resource type: Building NR status: RLS survey date: 6/ 24/ 2009 external site #: 269 ( ID# used in city/ agency database) survey project name or other grouping name comments/ notes: The property contains three resources that are not eligible. They include the main building ( 269A), a playshed ( 269B) as well as a portable ( 269P1). ILS survey date: 6/ 24/ 2009 Gen File date: SHPO INFO FOR THIS PROPERTY NR date listed: GROUPINGS / ASSOCIATIONS Optional Information 6301 SE 14th Ave Multnomah County ( former addresses, intersections, etc.) architect: Jones, George H builder: NR date listed: ( indiv listed only; see Grouping for hist dist) 106 Project( s) PPS Historic Building Assessment 2009 Survey & Inventory Project East elevation facing west Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 1 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Llewellyn School 6301 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County ARCHITECTURAL / PROPERTY DESCRIPTION ( Include expanded description of the building/ property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings, and alterations) HISTORY ( Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period [ preferably to the present]) Description Summary Llewellyn Elementary School is situated in the Moreland neighborhood of southeast Portland at 6301 SE 14th Street. Aligned on a north south axis, the two story school building is situated at the east side of the 2.90- acre campus. In addition to the main school building ( 269A), the campus has a portable classroom ( 269 P1) located at its northwest corner and covered play structure at the south east end ( 269B). The reinforced concrete building, faced with a pale brown brick, rests on a poured concrete foundation. A flat roof with a parapet covers the rectangular building. Designed with Mediterranean Revival style components, cast stone is utilized as architectural ornament throughout the exterior elevations. Fenestration consists of a mixture of grouped metal frame and wood frame windows. Architectural Description Llewellyn Elementary School is situated in the Sellwood neighborhood of southeast Portland at 6301 SE 14th Street. Development in the surrounding neighborhood consists primarily of single family residences. Much of the neighborhood had been developed by the 1920s but the area continued to experience growth through the 1950s ( Sanborn Maps 1924- 1928, 1908- 1950). Aligned on a north south axis, the two story school building is situated at the east side of the 2.90- acre campus. In addition to the main school building ( 269A), the campus has a portable classroom ( 269 P1) located at its northwest corner and covered play structure at the south east end. Asphalt covered play areas are situated at the west and south sides of the building. Grass covered play fields are located at the south end of the campus. The reinforced concrete building, faced with a pale brown brick, rests on a poured concrete foundation. A flat roof with a parapet covers the rectangular building. Fenestration consists of a mixture of grouped metal frame and eight- over- eight with multi light transom wood windows. The primary elevation features a projecting bay that divides the building bilaterally. Smaller bays that project from the north and sides of the building enhance the symmetry. Designed with modest Mediterranean Revival detailing, the building features cast stone that divides the elevations horizontally and highlights significant architectural features. The use of the stone above the concrete water table, as a belt course above the second story windows, and above the parapet emphasizes the horizontality of the building. The three arched openings, surrounded by cast stone, that illuminate the central bay further emphasizes the symmetry and order of the building. Twisted- shaft columns capped by arches inscribed with a floral pattern surround each arch. Each opening features two narrow twelve- over- twelve wood frame windows topped by an arched transom. An I- shaped, double loaded corridor provides circulation throughout the building. Doors at the terminus of each corridor provide additional egress. The symmetry of the building is enhanced by the placement of the primary gathering spaces in the central bay of the building. The gymnasium is located on the west side of the building. The auditorium projects to the east from the building. Flooring consists of 12" x 12" floor tiles, concrete, carpet, and hardwood. Fluorescent light fixtures provide illumination throughout the school. The building retains much of the original wood including window surrounds, moldings, and handrails in the corridors. The majority of the classrooms are square. The rooms at the corners are rectangular and slightly larger. The ground floor classrooms on the west side project from the main mass of the building to create a slightly larger room. Built- in cabinetry lines the interior walls. Metal univents provide heat for the classroom spaces. Alterations There have been moderate alterations to the 1928 Llewellyn Elementary School. Fire escapes were added to the rear ( west) elevation in 1966. A 1977 remodel for the auditorium resulted in the removal of the seats and a regrade to the floor. The most significant changes to the building occurred in 1985 when the majority of the exterior windows were replaced. At this time, a room on the northwest elevation was remodeled to create a media center and the office was remodeled. The building retains some original windows, built- in cabinetry, and other woodwork, but as a result of the more intrusive interior alterations to the auditorium and alterations to a relatively austere exterior, Llewellyn Elementary School no longer retains its integrity. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 2 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Llewellyn School 6301 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County RESEARCH INFORMATION ( Check all of the basic sources consulted and cite specific important sources) Statement of Significance Constructed in 1928, Llewellyn Elementary School was part of the last wave of an extensive building program begun by Portland Public Schools in the early 1900s. Gradually influenced by John Dewey's Progressive Education Movement, the building program responded to changing city demographics and ideas concerning school safety, sanitation, and child centered instructional methods beginning in the first decade of the 1900s ( Rippa, 1997: passim; Cremin 1961: 135- 153; Cubberley 1915: 283- 290). By 1905, it became increasingly clear that dramatic increases in school-age children outstripped the district's existing classroom capacity and existing schools could not effectively serve areas of the city where new residential development was occurring ( Cubberley 1915: 283- 285, 288- 290). After several well- publicized school fires elsewhere in the United States, calls for a more fundamental change in the building stock of the district began as early as 1906 when Mayor Lane called for the construction of new " fireproof" school buildings ( Oregonian, 10- 31- 1906). In 1910, various city neighborhood " advancement clubs" joined forces to discuss the unfit school buildings in their respective neighborhoods ( Oregonian 07- 31- 1910). Soon after this meeting, on August 16, 1910, the Portland City Council enacted a requirement that all schools constructed after January 1, 1911 would have to be of fire proof construction ( Powers and Corning 1937: 183). By 1914, in the first joint meeting between Portland city officials, Multnomah County Commissioners, and the school board, officials agreed to work with building code officials to encourage the use of fireproof construction and to implement fire safety measures in all existing and future schools ( Oregonian, 03- 31- 1914). In 1908, Portland Public Schools created the Bureau of Properties in an effort to centralize the management of the district's various properties ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). Within this office, the District architect took on a more formalized role in the design and maintenance of school facilities. Two of the most influential district architects during this period included Floyd A. Naramore and George H. Jones who designed a majority of the schools between 1908 and 1932. These new school buildings were often constructed of brick and concrete and were one or two stories in height. To speed the construction of the new schools and to anticipate later growth in the neighborhood, these new buildings were often constructed in units ( sometimes referred to as extensible schools) ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The buildings also contained more differentiated and increasingly specialized instructional spaces such as libraries, gymnasiums, science rooms, music rooms, as well as assembly spaces ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The architectural details of the new schools were largely encompassed by the Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, and Collegiate Gothic styles; architectural revivals that were viewed as inspirational and appropriate for educational settings ( Betelle 1919: 28; Sibley 1923: 66; Patton 1967: 1- 8). The architect of Llewellyn School, George Jones, was well versed in the design of school facilities through his role as Superintendent of building for the district. The son of Thomas J. Jones, who had also served as district architect for many years, George Jones was born in Portland in 1887. After attending Oregon State College for two years, George Jones obtained a degree in architecture in 1913. Jones worked in New York for several years before serving with the U. S. Army Combat Engineers during World War I. Following his return to Portland in 1920, Jones obtained his architecture license. He quickly assumed the position of school architect after his predecessor Floyd A. Naramore became district architect for the Seattle School District. In his role as district architect, George Jones designed about 25 new schools and supervised the construction of additions for many existing building. Following his tenure with Portland Public Schools, Jones went into private practice in Portland. With architect Harold Marsh, he established the firm of Jones & Marsh. Throughout his career Jones continued to specialize in school design, with projects in Pendleton, Klamath Falls and Oregon City. The firm of Jones & Marsh also designed additions to Roosevelt High School in Portland, buildings at Concordia Academy, and the Engineering wing and coliseum at Oregon State College in Corvallis ( Ritz 2003: 217). In 1893, Portland Public Schools annexed the property at 6301 SE 14th Street from School District # 24. The property included an 1891 school building, which was desinged by Thomas J. Hones and known as Midway School. The school was renamed Llewellyn in 1905. A new building was constructed in 1906 ( Portland Chronology Binder). Although the existing school was only twenty years old, a new building was constructed on the site and occupied by October of 1928 ( Oregonian 08- 19- 1928). The Anderson Construction Company erected the building for $ 230,000 ( Oregonian 10- 14- 1928). The cornerstone was laid during the official dedication ceremony on May 14, 1929 ( Oregonian 05- 14- 1929). There have been moderate alterations to the 1928 Llewellyn Elementary School. Fire escapes were added to the rear ( west) elevation in 1966. A 1977 remodel for the auditorium resulted in the removal of the seats and a regrade to the floor. The most significant changes to the building occurred in 1985 when the majority of the exterior windows were replaced. At this time, a room on the northwest elevation was remodeled to create a media center and the office was remodeled. The building retains some original windows, built- in cabinetry, and other woodwork, however, as a result of the more intrusive interior alterations to the auditorium and alterations to an already modestly decorated exterior, Llewellyn Elementary School no longer retains its integrity. Although designed by George Jones during his tenure as Superintendent of Building for Portland Public Schools and associated with several events related to the growth of the Portland school district, Llewellyn Elementary School does not retain a level of historical significance and integrity commensurate with other Portland Elementary Schools constructed of similar styles during the same period and is therefore not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. While the Mediterranean Revival style elements are modestly discernable on the building, the expression of the terra cotta is not as sophisticated as that on other buildings of the style designed by Jones. Additionally, the removal of windows and interior modifications have blurred the original corridor plan and altered major spaces including the original auditorium. Due to the loss of integrity from these alterations, Llewellyn Elementary School is not eligible under either NRHP Criteria A, B, or C. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 3 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Llewellyn School 6301 14th Ave Portland, Multnomah County Title Records Sanborn Maps Obituaries City Directories Census Records Biographical Sources Newspapers Building Permits Property Tax Records SHPO Files State Archives State Library Local Histories Interviews Historic Photographs Local Library: Multnomah County Library University Library: Portland State University Library Historical Society: Oregon Historical Society Other Repository: PPS Archives Bibliography: Bibliography Betelle, James O. " Architectural Styles as Applied to School Buildings." American School Board Journal. Vol. 58 ( April 1919). Cremin, Lawrence. The Transformation of the School: Progressivism in American Education, 1876- 1957. New York: A. Knopt, 1961. Cubberley, Ellwood Patterson. The Portland Survey: A Textbook on City School Administration Based on a Concrete Study. Yonkers-on- Hudson, NY: World Book Co., 1915. Oregonian. " 3 New Schools Ready for Opening." 08- 19- 1928. Oregonian. " Cornerstone to be laid." 05- 14- 1929 Oregonian. " Change Favored in School Buildings." 3- 31- 1914. Oregonian. " Mayor Lane and the Schools." 10- 31- 1906. Oregonian. " School Buildings are Called Unfit." 7- 31- 1910. Oregonian " School Plans Ordered." 11- 02- 1926. Oregonian. " New Llewellyn School Completed." 10- 14- 1928. Portland Public Schools. Schools Chronology Binder. ______. " Annual Report of the Portland Schools 1932- 1933. Powers, Alfred and Howard McKinley Corning, History of Education in Portland. [ Portland]: Work Projects Administration, 1937. Rippa, Alexander. Education in a Free Society: An American History. New York: Longman, 1997. Ritz, Richard. E. Architects of Oregon. A Biographical Dictionary of Architects Deceased – 19th and 20th Centuries. Portland: Lair Hill Publishing, 2003. Sanborn Map Company 1924- 1928, 1908- Dec. 1950 Sanborn Maps, Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, Oregon. Available at: https:// catalog. multcolib. org/ validate? url= http% 3A% 2F% 2F0- sanborn. umi. com. catalog. multcolib. org% 3A80% 2F. Accessed June 16, 2009. Sibley, Ernest. " Why I Prefer the Colonial Style." School Board Journal: Vol. 66 ( January 1923). Snyder, Eugene E. Portland Names and Neighborhoods. Their Historic Origins. Portland: Binforrd & Mort Publishing; 1st edition 1979. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 4 of 4 East elevation facing northwest East elevation facing west North elevation facing southwest West elevation facing southeast South elevation facing northwest Llewellyn School Exterior Photos ENTRIX 2009 Corridor facing south Classroom built- ins Media Center Gymnasium facing west Auditorium facing south Lllewellyn School Interior Photos ENTRIX 2009 1908- 1909, Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Sellwood, Oregon, Map 553. Arrow points to the old Llewellyn Public School prior to its removal and construction of the new school. Updated to 1924- 1928, Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1060. Arrow points to Llewellyn Public School. Inset shows school extending below map. Updated to 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 1060. Arrow points to Llewellyn Public School. Inset shows school extending below map. Llewellyn School 6301 SE 14th Ave, Portland OR, 97202 Building Periods 1. Original Building ( 269A), 1928 2. Bldg ( 269P1), 1968 3. Playshed, 1977 Aerial photo © 2009 Metro, Portland OR Imagery Date: July 12, 2007 SE 14th Ave SE 13th Ave 1950s photograph of the Llewellyn School. SE Henry St SE Tolman St View Site in Google Maps Historical Significance and Building Integrity Contrib: High Significance Contrib: Moderate Signif. Non- Contributing 0' 50' 100' 200' N sandy Blvd Lombard st powell Blvd 82nd ave MLK jr b lvd 1 2 3
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
File NameOR_Multnomah_Portland_Llewelyn.pdf
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^