University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Ockley Green School (Portland, Oregon)
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object NameOckley Green School (Portland, Oregon)
ViewOregon Historic Site Form. Prepared by Iris Eschen.
Alternate NameOckley Green Elementary School (Portland, Oregon)
Creator/RoleGeorge Howell Jones (architect, 1887-1950)
CreatorJones, George H.
Date1925
1980
Decade1920-1929
1980-1989
CityPortland
CountyMultnomah
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Site Detail6031 N Montana Street
Photograph Date2009
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
schools (buildings)
public schools (buildings)
rooms
architectural drawings (visual works)
plans (orthographic projections)
floor plans
ReferencePPS Historic Building Assessment 2009
NotesOregon Historic Site Form Ockley Green School 6031 Montana St Portland, Multnomah County block nbr: lot nbr: tax lot nbr: township: range: section: 1/ 4: LOCATION AND PROPERTY NAME elig. evaluation: not eligible/ non- contributing primary orig use: School secondary orig use: primary style: Late Gothic Revival secondary style: primary siding: Standard Brick secondary siding: plan type: School ( General) Portland historic name: Ockley Green School primary constr date: 1925 secondary date: 1980 height (# stories): 2 total # ineligible resources: 2 ( optional-- use for major addns) current/ other names: Ockley Green Elementary School ( c.) ( c.) orig use comments: prim style comments: Collegiate Gothic sec style comments: location descr: assoc addresses: vcnty address: ( remote sites) siding comments: PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS farmstead/ cluster name: zip: total # eligible resources: apprx. addrs resource type: Building NR status: RLS survey date: 6/ 25/ 2009 external site #: 178 ( ID# used in city/ agency database) survey project name or other grouping name comments/ notes: The property consists of two resources that are not eligible. They consist of the main building with addition ( 178A and 178B) and two joined portables ( 178P1 and 178P2). ILS survey date: 6/ 25/ 2009 Gen File date: SHPO INFO FOR THIS PROPERTY NR date listed: GROUPINGS / ASSOCIATIONS Optional Information 6031 N Montana St Multnomah County ( former addresses, intersections, etc.) architect: George H. Jones builder: NR date listed: ( indiv listed only; see Grouping for hist dist) 106 Project( s) PPS Historic Building Assessment 2009 Survey & Inventory Project East elevation Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 1 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Ockley Green School 6031 Montana St Portland, Multnomah County ARCHITECTURAL / PROPERTY DESCRIPTION ( Include expanded description of the building/ property, setting, significant landscape features, outbuildings, and alterations) HISTORY ( Chronological, descriptive history of the property from its construction through at least the historic period [ preferably to the present]) Summary Ockley Green Elementary School is situated in the Arbor Lodge neighborhood of north Portland at 6031 N Montana Street. Aligned on a north south axis, the two story school building is situated at the east side of the 5.54- acre campus. In addition to the main school building ( 178A), the campus has two portables ( 178P1 & 178P2) located at its northwest corner and an attached gymnasium annex ( 178B) at the northeast corner of the campus. The reinforced concrete structure, faced with a variegated brick, rests on a poured concrete foundation. A flat roof with a parapet covers the rectangular building. Designed in the Collegiate Gothic style, cast stone architectural details highlight the windows doors and other significant elements of the exterior elevations. Variations in the brickwork below the parapet provide additional visual relief in the long elevations. Fenestration consists of a mixture of grouped metal frame and multi light wood frame windows. Architectural Description Ockley Green Elementary School is situated in the Arbor Lodge neighborhood of north Portland at 6031 N Montana Street. Development in the surrounding neighborhood consists primarily of single family residences built primarily between 1925- 1950 ( Sanborn Maps 1924- 1928, 1908- 1950). Aligned on a north to south axis, the two story school building is situated at the east side of the 5.54- acre campus. In addition to the main school building ( 178A), the campus has two portables ( 178P1 & 178P2) located at its northwest corner and an attached gymnasium annex ( 178B) at the northeast corner of the campus. Play fields are located at the west side of the campus. The reinforced concrete structure, faced with a variegated brick, rests on a poured concrete foundation. A flat roof with a parapet covers the rectangular building. Fenestration consists of a mixture of grouped metal frame and multi- light wood windows. The primary elevation features a projecting central bay that divides the building bilaterally. Smaller bays that project from the north and sides of the building enhance the symmetry. Designed in the Collegiate Gothic style, cast stone is utilized as architectural ornament throughout the exterior elevations. In addition to the cast stone that surrounds the window and door openings on all of the elevations, the central bay features three arched openings capped by cast stone Tudor arches. The openings feature nine and six light wood frame windows. A pair of egress doors that flank the arched window openings also feature cast stone Tudor arches. The building is capped by a band of brickwork laid in an English cross bond that forms a diaper pattern. This band is outlined by the cast stone that covers the parapet and a second story cast stone belt course. A double loaded corridor provides circulation throughout the building. Doors at the terminus of each corridor provide additional egress. The symmetry of the building is enhanced by the bays that project east and west from the central portion of the building. The auditorium projects to the east. A media center and office spaces occupy the area on the west side that originally housed the gymnasium. Although the floor was re- graded and the original seats were removed, the auditorium retains its stage, balcony, and boxed beam ceiling. Flooring in the building consists of 12" x 12" floor tiles, concrete, carpet, and hardwood. Fluorescent light fixtures provide illumination throughout the school. The building retains much of the original wood including window surrounds, moldings, and handrails in the corridors. Although the primary corridor ceiling height and plan are intact, there have been partition walls and infill columns placed in the corridors to define the entry to particular rooms and create additional storage. An enclosed walkway connects the main school to a gymnasium and industrial arts annex located at the north side of the campus. Brown concrete block, incised vertically, serves as the primary structure and exterior cladding. There are minimal windows, doors, or other openings on this annex. The majority of the classrooms are rectangular. The rooms at the corners are rectangular. Projecting window bays provide additional classroom space on the ground floor and a balcony for the 2nd floor classrooms. Built- in cabinetry lines the interior walls. Metal univents provide heat for the classroom spaces. Alterations There have been significant alterations to the 1925 Ockley Green Middle School. In 1953 a cafeteria was added to the west side of the south end of the building. In 1981 the gymnasium and industrial arts wing was added at the north end of the property. The severe massing and brown concrete block exterior is incompatible with the rich brick work and symmetrical massing of the original building. In 1983 the majority of the windows on the building were replaced. Significant alterations to the interior have also occurred. In 1953 the acoustic ceiling tiles and new lighting fixtures were installed. In 1972 and 1973 several interior renovations removed walls and partitioned the second floor corridor. A remodel ( date unknown) in the auditorium resulted in the removal of the seats and a re- grading of the floor. The library, located in the original gymnasium, was remodeled in 1990. Other remodels have altered classrooms, the music room, and the science room. The building does retain some original windows, built- in cabinetry, and other woodwork. Due to the significant interior alterations and the incompatible addition on the north side of the primary elevation, Ockley Green Middle School no longer retains its integrity. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 2 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Ockley Green School 6031 Montana St Portland, Multnomah County Statement of Significance Constructed in 1925, Ockley Green Elementary School was part of the last wave of an extensive building program begun by Portland Public Schools in the early 1900s. Gradually influenced by John Dewey's Progressive Education Movement, the program responded to changing city demographics and ideas concerning school safety, sanitation, and child centered instructional methods beginning in the first decade of the 1900s ( Rippa, 1997: passim; Cremin 1961: 135- 153; Cubberley 1915: 283- 290). By 1905, it became increasingly clear that dramatic increases in school- age children outstripped the district's existing classroom capacity and existing schools could not effectively serve areas of the city where new residential development was occurring ( Cubberley 1915: 283- 285, 288- 290). After several well- publicized school fires elsewhere in the United States, calls for a more fundamental change in the building stock of the district began as early as 1906 when Mayor Lane called for the construction of new " fireproof" school buildings ( Oregonian, 10- 31- 1906). In 1910, various city neighborhood " advancement clubs" joined forces to discuss the unfit school buildings in their respective neighborhoods ( Oregonian 07- 31- 1910). Soon after this meeting, on August 16, 1910, the Portland City Council enacted a requirement that all schools constructed after January 1, 1911 would have to be of fire proof construction ( Powers and Corning 1937: 183). By 1914, in the first joint meeting between Portland city officials, Multnomah County Commissioners, and the school board, officials agreed to work with building code officials to encourage the use of fireproof construction and to implement fire safety measures in all existing and future schools ( Oregonian, 03- 31- 1914). In 1908, Portland Public Schools created the Bureau of Properties in an effort to centralize the management of the district's various properties ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). Within this office, the District architect took on a more formalized role in the design and maintenance of school facilities. Two of the most influential district architects during this period included Floyd Naramore and George Jones who designed a majority of the schools between 1908 and 1932. These new school buildings were often constructed of brick and concrete and were one or two stories in height. To speed the construction of the new schools and to anticipate later growth in the neighborhood, these new buildings were often constructed in units ( sometimes referred to as extensible schools) ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The buildings also contained more differentiated and increasingly specialized instructional spaces such as libraries, gymnasiums, science rooms, music rooms, as well as assembly spaces ( Powers and Corning 1937: 182). The architectural details of the new schools were largely encompassed by the Classical Revival, Colonial Revival, and Collegiate Gothic styles; architectural revivals that were viewed as inspirational and appropriate for educational settings ( Betelle 1919: 28; Sibley 1923: 66; Patton 1967: 1- 8). The architect of Ockley Green Elementary School, George Jones, was well versed in the design of school facilities through his role as Superintendent of Building for the district. The son of Thomas J. Jones, who had also served as district architect for many years, George Jones was born in Portland in 1887. After attending Oregon State College for two years, George Jones obtained a degree in architecture in 1913. Jones worked in New York for several years before serving with the U. S. Army Combat Engineers during World War I. Following his return to Portland in 1920, Jones obtained his architecture license. He quickly assumed the position of school architect after his predecessor Floyd A. Naramore became district architect for the Seattle School District. In his role as district architect, George Jones designed about 25 new schools and supervised the construction of additions for many existing buildings. Following his tenure with Portland Public Schools, Jones went into private practice in Portland. With architect Harold Marsh, he established the firm of Jones & Marsh. Throughout his career Jones continued to specialize in school design, with projects in Pendleton, Klamath Falls and Oregon City. The firm of Jones & Marsh also designed additions to Roosevelt High School in Portland, buildings at Concordia Academy, and the Engineering wing and coliseum at Oregon State College in Corvallis ( Ritz 2003: 217). In 1891, Portland Public Schools annexed the Albina Multnomah School from District # 31. The school, founded in 1893, was located at N. Shaver & Missouri Street. In 1901, the building was moved to the current campus. The school was renamed Ockley Green in 1909 and additional land was acquired for $ 3,700.00. Several additions were made to the 1891 school before a new school building was deemed necessary. In preparation, the district acquired additional land in 1920 and 1921 for $ 15,548.83. In 1923, the board announced its decision to make the new Ockley Green, Peninsula, and Sunnsyside schools identical to Chapman, a school planned by F. Manson White ( Oregonian 04- 14- 1923). F. Manson White, however, complained to the school board about additional costs he had incurred as a result of previous work. It does not appear he was ever paid and he is not credited with any other school designs other than Chapman. George H. Jones, as Superintendent of Building, is credited as the architect of Ockley Green School ( Portland Schools Facility Plan). In an October 1925 dedication ceremony, students, parents gathered to lay the cornerstone and celebrate the completion of the new school ( Oregonian10- 10- 1925). There have been significant alterations to the 1925 Ockley Green Elementary School. In 1953 a cafeteria was added to the west side of the south end of the building. The most significant alteration occurred in 1981 when the gymnasium and industrial arts wing was added at the north end of the property. This $ 2.3 million renovation facilitated the conversion of the former elementary school to a middle school. The new facilities included a new gymnasium, dressing rooms, shop, science areas, home economics and art rooms, library, offices, conference, and faculty rooms. Extensive changes to the heating and light also occurred at this time ( Oregonian 01- 20- 1982). In 1983 the majority of the windows were replaced. Significant alterations to the interior have also occurred. In 1953 the acoustic ceiling tiles and new lighting fixtures were installed. A 1968 fire, caused by arson, resulted in minimal damage to a ground floor classroom ( Oregonian 12- 03- 1968). In 1972 and 1973 several interior renovations removed walls and partitioned the 2nd floor corridor. A remodel ( date unknown) in the auditorium resulted in the removal of the seats and a re-grading of the floor. The library, located in the original gymnasium, was remodeled in 1990. The building does retain some original windows, built- in cabinetry, and other woodwork. However, due to the significant interior alterations and the incompatible addition on the north side of the primary elevation, Ockley Green Elementary School no longer retains its integrity. Although designed by George H. Jones during his tenure as Superintendent of Building for Portland Public Schools and associated with several events related to the growth of the Portland School District, Ockley Green Elementary School does not retain a level of historical significance and Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 3 of 4 Oregon Historic Site Form Ockley Green School 6031 Montana St Portland, Multnomah County RESEARCH INFORMATION Title Records Sanborn Maps Obituaries City Directories Census Records Biographical Sources Newspapers Building Permits Property Tax Records SHPO Files State Archives State Library Local Histories Interviews Historic Photographs Local Library: Multnomah County Library University Library: Portland State University Library Historical Society: Oregon Historical Society Other Repository: PPS Archives Bibliography: Bibliography Betelle, James O. " Architectural Styles as Applied to School Buildings." American School Board Journal. Vol. 58 ( April 1919). Cremin, Lawrence. The Transformation of the School: Progressivism in American Education, 1876- 1957. New York: A. Knopt, 1961. Cubberley, Ellwood Patterson. The Portland Survey: A Textbook on City School Administration Based on a Concrete Study. Yonkers-on- Hudson, NY: World Book Co., 1915. Oregon Journal. " Educators to dedicate remodeled Ockley Green." 01- 20- 1982. Oregonian. " 3 School Plans Begun." 04- 14- 1923. Oregonian. " New School Dedicated." 10- 10- 1925. Oregonian. " Arsonists set fire to school." 12- 03- 1968. Oregonian. " Change Favored in School Buildings." 3- 31- 1914. Oregonian. " Mayor Lane and the Schools." 10- 31- 1906. Oregonian. " School Buildings are Called Unfit." 7- 31- 1910. Portland Public Schools. Schools Chronology Binder. Powers, Alfred and Howard McKinley Corning, History of Education in Portland. [ Portland]: Work Projects Administration, 1937. Rippa, Alexander. Education in a Free Society: An American History. New York: Longman, 1997. Ritz, Richard. E. Architects of Oregon. A Biographical Dictionary of Architects Deceased – 19th and 20th Centuries. Portland: Lair Hill Publishing, 2003. Sanborn Map Company 1924- 1928, 1908- Dec. 1950 Sanborn Maps, Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, Oregon. Available at: https:// catalog. multcolib. org/ validate? url= http% 3A% 2F% 2F0- sanborn. umi. com. catalog. multcolib. org% 3A80% 2F. Accessed June 16, 2009. Sibley, Ernest. " Why I Prefer the Colonial Style." School Board Journal: Vol. 66 ( January 1923). Snyder, Eugene E. Portland Names and Neighborhoods. Their Historic Origins. Portland: Binforrd & Mort Publishing; 1st edition 1979. ( Check all of the basic sources consulted and cite specific important sources) integrity commensurate with other Portland Elementary Schools constructed of similar styles during the same period and is therefore not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. While the Collegiate Gothic style is discernable on the building, the expression of the cast stone is not as sophisticated as that on other buildings of the style designed by Jones. Additionally, the removal of windows, prominent addition, and interior modifications that have blurred the original corridor plan and altered major spaces including the original auditorium have dramatically altered the integrity of the design, workmanship, and feeling of the building. Due to the loss of integrity, Ockley Green Elementary School is not eligible under either NRHP Criteria A, B, or C. Printed on: 10/ 14/ 2009 Page 4 of 4 East elevation East elevation connection between main building and gymnasium West elevation North and west elevation facing south South elevation facing northwest Ockley Green School Exterior Photos ENTRIX 2009 2nd floor corridor facing south showing infill walls Classroom built- ins Cafeteria Media Center in former gymnasium Auditorium facing south Ockley Green School Interior Photos ENTRIX 2009 1924- 1928, Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 914. Arrow points to the future site of the Ockley Green School. Note the older school building located to the southwest. Updated to 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance Company Map, Portland, Oregon, Map 478. Arrow points to Ockley Green School. Note school building location change. Ockley Green School 6031 N Montana Ave, Portland OR, 97217 Building Periods 1. Original Building ( 178A), 1925 2. Addition ( 178A), 1953 3. Addition ( 178A), 1981 4. Addition ( 178B), 1981 5. Port. 1 6. Port. 2 Aerial photo © 2009 Metro, Portland OR Imagery Date: July 12, 2007 N Ainsworth St N Montana Ave N Interstate Ave 1920s photograph of the Ockley Green School, looking northwest. View Site in Google Maps Historical Significance and Building Integrity Contrib: High Significance Contrib: Moderate Signif. Non- Contributing 0' 50' 100' 200' N sandy Blvd Lombard st powell Blvd 82nd ave MLK jr b lvd 1 2 3 4 5 6
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
File NameOR_Multnomah_Portland_OckleyGreen.pdf
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^