University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Cape Perpetua Shelter and Parapet (Yachats, Oregon)
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object NameCape Perpetua Shelter and Parapet (Yachats, Oregon)
ViewNational Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Prepared by John W. Montague and Sraya E. Meza, Department of Resource Recreation Management, Oregon State University, November 18, 1983. Amended by Ward Tonsfeldt, Central Oregon College.
Date1933
Decade1930-1939
CityYachats
CountyLincoln
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
plans (orthographic projections)
shelters (single built works)
rock shelters
walls
parapets
Period/StyleRustic
SignficanceNational Register of Historic Places (Listed, 1988)
NotesBoth the shelter and the parapet are unique stone structures that are located near the top of Cape Perpetua, 800 feet above the sea. The stone shelter, which stands today almost exactly as it was built in the summer of 1933, provides an excellent view of the Oregon coast. On a clear day, a person can see south to Cape Blanco and north to Cape Foulweather. The distance is more than 150 miles. The Overlook Shelter was built in accord with a plan recommended by the U.S. Forest Service for "rocky points and along the .coast." It is a 15x20 foot rectangular structure of random ashlar with flagstone floor, battered corner pilasters, segmental arched openings, a cedar shake roof on log or pole rafters, and a rock parapet in the "Swiss style" on either gable end. The roof has been replaced twice, most recently in the 1950's, at which time rotted pole rafters were replaced with 4x4's. The original hand-hewn cedar bench is missing from the interior. Notwithstanding these modifications, the Cape Perpetua Overlook Shelter is significant among projects of the Civilian Conservation Corps in the Pacific Northwest as the only example of its type to have been constructed in the region. The 3-foot-high stone parapet lines a widening in the trail approximately 800 feet east/southeast, or downslope from the shelter. Although they are separate, the two features lie in close proximity to one another and form a discrete unit of the larger C.C.C. improvement projects for the Forest. The stone used in construction was quarried locally at Round Mountain northeast of Yachats.
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionArchitecture & Allied Arts Library, University of Oregon Libraries, http://library.uoregon.edu/aaa/
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
Copyright© University of Oregon. This image is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/ ). Acknowledgement of the University of Oregon Libraries a
File NameOR_Lincoln_Yachats_CapePerpetua.pdf
Contributing InstitutionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^