University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
Suver Townsite (Suver, Oregon)
Object NameSuver Townsite (Suver, Oregon)
Viewgeneral view
Creator/RoleJoseph W. Suver (builder/contractor)
CreatorSuver, Joseph W.
Date1888
Decade1880-1889
CitySuver
CountyPolk
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
townscapes (representations)
warehouses
railroads
NotesSuver is located approximately three miles southeast of Buena Vista and six miles west of Airlie, in the southeast corner of the county. The area was settled between 1844 and 1847 by Joseph W. Suver and George Pyburn. Between 1847 and the coming of rail transportation to the region in 1880-81, this area of the county was intensively farmed. As the original Donation Land Claims were broken up and more land came under cultivation there was an increased movement for better roads and rail transportation to move products to market. In 1880, the west side Oregon & California Railroad was constructed through Rickreall, Independence and south through the site of Suver. In order to take advantage of the shipping opportunities the new transportation system afforded, Joseph W. Suver, pioneer of 1844, purchased the present site of (Old) Suver from his father-in-law, George W. Pyburn. On January 11, 1881, the plat of the new townsite was recorded by Suver. The Suver post office was opened on February 24, 1881, with Sam Cohen as postmaster. By the mid 1890s Suver consisted of a store, saw mill, two warehouses, grain elevator, dance hall, depot, blacksmith, shoe repair shop and several residences. In 1895 the Suver school was built, District 43. Between 1895 and 1925, Suver continued as a rural shipping facility and community center for the surrounding population. In the mid 20s the town began to decline, primarily due to the completion of highway 99W, one mile west of the townsite, and the corresponding decline in railroad shipping. In 1935, Fred Stum moved his store (constructed 1905) from its original site in (Old) Suver, west to the intersection of 99W. This new site, (New) Suver or Suver Junction, is occasionally confused with the original site. (Old) Suver continued to decline, but maintained its warehousing facilities, school and several residences well past the historic period.
Metadata NotesDescription of this work is based initially on documentation supplied by the image provider. It is often the case with gift slides that very little information is provided. Review and updating of descriptive information by the collection cataloger is ongoing.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionArchitecture & Allied Arts Library, University of Oregon Libraries, http://library.uoregon.edu/aaa/
Image SourceOregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
File Namepna_20210.jpg
Contributing InstitutionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^