University of Oregon
University of Oregon Libraries
Digital Collections

Building Oregon

Skip to content  Collection Home : Browse Collection : Advanced Search : Preferences : My Favorites   
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
 
1955 Hoyt Apartments
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

Object Name1955 Hoyt Apartments
Viewinformation record
Alternate NameApartments, Northwest Hoyt Street Apartment No. 1955 (Portland, Oregon)
Related Work (Part Of)Alphabet Historic District (Portland, Oregon)
Date1925
Decade1920-1929
CityPortland
CountyMultnomah
State/ProvinceOregon
CountryUnited States
Site Detail1955 Northwest Hoyt Street
CatalogerEdward H. Teague
Object Typearchitecture
built works
views (visual works)
exterior views
dwellings
Notes"Description: This two and one-half story apartment building has a U-shaped plan surrounding a central courtyard and is located on the north side of NW Hoyt Street. It has a rusticated, concrete block foundation and a wood frame covered in stucco. The roof is gabled, with a curvilinear parapet. A nine-pane oculus window and two shed dormers can be found on this parapet. The predominant window type is four-over-one, double-hung wood sash. A projecting, arched opening shelters a tiled vestibule. The main entrance has a solid wooden door with six lights, an arched head, and a metal lantern in the center. Wood belt courses run between the first and second story, as well as between the first floor and the basement. In 1985, the apartment building was reroofed. Significance; This property was originally owned by Lee H. Hoffman, a principal in the construction company Hoffman & Bates, who advertised themselves as "Bridge Builders and General Contractors." They were credited with supervision of the Morrison Street Bridge, which opened in 1887. They also constructed the Bull Run pipeline from the Mt. Hood area to Portland. This building is considered to be contributing within the district as a good example of a large-scale apartment complex designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and is therefore significant as part of the larger grouping of residential development that occurred in the Northwest Portland area." Source: National Register nomination.
Digital CollectionBuilding Oregon: Architecture of Oregon & the Pacific Northwest
Source CollectionArchitecture & Allied Arts Library, University of Oregon Libraries, http://library.uoregon.edu/aaa/
Image SourceOregon State Historic Preservation Office, http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/SHPO/
PublisherUniversity of Oregon Libraries
CopyrightThis image was included in the documentation to support a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, a program of the National Park Service. The image is provided here by the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the University of Oregon Libraries to facilitate scholarship, research, and teaching. For other uses, such as publication, contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Please credit the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office when using this image.
File Nameicon_395.jpg; icon
Contributing InstitutionUniversity of Oregon Libraries
add to favorites : reference url : download back to results : previous : next
University of Oregon Libraries | Oregon State University Libraries | Contact Us ^ to top ^